Harold S. Colton Memorial Library and the Katharine Bartlett Reading
Room began with the donation of Harold S. and Mary-Russell Ferrell
Colton's personal library. As the collection grew, the library found a
home in the Museum's Research Center Building, built in 1954.
The library's collection has grown to include several hundred
periodicals, 50,000 books, over 25,000 separates, several thousand
maps, over 300 manuscript holdings, and over 250,000 photographic
The Harold S.
Colton Library's collections are strongest in the fields of
archaeology, ethnology, and geology, with additional materials on
biology, geography, history, art, and museology.
The Harold S. Colton Memorial Library,
with its strong retrospective collection, is an indispensable resource
for anyone doing research on the Colorado Plateau.
The library has access to the Arizona
State Library with its excellent selection of online databases. These
resources are freely available to Arizona residents at
Online guide to using
the MNA Archives